At 5:07 PM -0500 12/09/2005, Tom W. wrote:
On 12/9/05, Clark Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > No.  There are plenty of stories of people getting busted for
 software piracy who've claimed they didn't know it was wrong.  That
 defense rarely works.

Why don't we start with one story? I've never, ever heard of a computer company coming after a user who sold his laptop with an OS on it.

I know people get busted for duplicating software and then selling
it, but a home user selling his computer getting hunted down by the
police?

I don't think so.

Microsloth's hired / authorized copyright police have eBay terminate auctions regularly, regardless of who the seller is. But I don't think they push for fines and such against private individuals.

Then there's the BSA, ?Business Software Association? The international copyright police that are employeed by the likes of MS. They go into companys and nail them for infringement. Then they check the employees homes to see if what they've copied... Big fines they collect!

I don't recall hearing of a private seller getting busted for shipping a computer with an Apple OS on it...

- Dan.