I believe the point of leaving an operable OS on a used computer offered for
sale is that the machine is demonstrably working, and that it was when
shipped by the seller. Otherwise there'd be no standard of whether what was
sold to any of us was in operable condition when we bought it. This way,
when we're guaranteed "No DOA" there's a common reference point between the
buyer and the seller. Otherwise, there'd be a grey area opened up that the
new owner screwed something up in attempting to install an operating system
of choice, and many more unwarranted returns of perfectly usable machines
would arrive back on the doorsteps of honorable, innocent and well-meaning
sellers.

Also, I'd be surprised if many, indeed if any of us who use this list don't
already own our own copies of usable operating systems to install in any
Macs we buy used. Without an installed OS when shipped, we'd have no way of
detecting a lemon when we inspect our purchase.

Just my thoughts,
stanton