At 4:28 PM -0500 12/9/05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In a message dated 12/9/05 1:22:31 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

One thing about the seller who has the iBook is that he is probably
reputable but just does not have the OS CD's to sell with it. Too many
eBay sellers sell computers with a newer OS but no CD's which is
software pirating and generally is a sign of their honesty. Without
the CD's the hard drive should be wiped clean. So at least he didn't
add Panther or Tiger to the iBook to sell it for more money and that's
a good sign.

I don't know about it being an indicator of anyone's honesty or not; what
about situations where individuals are selling their personal laptops after being
upgraded? Doesn't the act of piracy require some requisite mental state?

No. There are plenty of stories of people getting busted for software piracy who've claimed they didn't know it was wrong. That defense rarely works.

Also, doesn't the frequently seen "Buyer must erase drive after reviewing OS"
pretty much cover any loose ends?

Maybe, legally, maybe not. But it's like someone not to loot the store like everyone else is then giving them a shove. On second thought I don't think it is legal as they are sending it to you without the disks so at that point it is illegal, even if you do erase the disk immediately.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA