Thanks for the help Caleb,

I found the instructions for Open firmware

<snip>
Using Open Firmware.... Holding down COMMAND + OPTION + O + F

used the reset button too and it did boot  but did NOT go to grey screen or
a prompt to reset-all...

hmmm did I do that right?

It gave the usual disk aid notice...and then this  ALARMING one!

"Built in memory test has detected a problem.
Please contact a service technician for advice."

clicked OK...and everything looked "normal".

  I was able to reboot using the other partition  which holds disk warrior
and ran disk warrior.

When I went to change it back to the main brain.... it locked up...and a
force restart takes me  back to black.

 service technicians?... any advice?

Kristina
near Chicago