On 14-Jan-06, at 8:18 AM, Dyna wrote:

        This theft of service bull is nonsense!

If I buy a subscription to say, MacWorld, then leave it in the break room at work for my coworkers to read after I've read it, that's sharing, not stealing. If I buy bandwidth from the local telco or cable company and let my neighbors have what I don't need, that's sharing, not stealing.

Actually, the latter is normally against your terms of service so it is theft of service - not from you, but from the cable company. You allowing it to happen makes you just as guilty.

Granted, the telcos and cable industry with their lobbyists have managed to persuade congress otherwise, but those laws are unenforceable anyway- is anyone doing time in club fed for "theft of service" with their home computer?

Just because the laws governing the theft of signal are currently difficult to enforce, it doesn't mean it's okay to break these laws.

It would seem that as long as you can get away with something, it's okay for you or others to do it.

Here is an example of a law being temporarily unenforceable - There is a major riot going on in a large city and people are looting stores/businesses left and right because there are not enough police resources to apprehend them. Laws are still being broken. Theft and vandalism are still are occurring. Just because these people are not being caught and charged does not mean a crime has not been committed.

Amber