Yep. Thanks.
On Jan 14, 2006, at 1:41 PM, John Siple wrote:

        So let's quit being paranoid and let some common sense prevail.

Here here.

The law is a very flexible thing folks. If all the laws were strictly enforced this country would come to a screeching halt. The underground economy alone is huge. None of those folks on craigslist are paying their state sales taxes on items sold. Cars speed. My neighbors make more noise than is legal and throw their McNuggets wrappers on the street. Some of them do anyway.

Legal is a joke. Money and power is king. Got money and power and you can use the legal system to get more of both. But as a practical matter all us little people can and do, and will forever be borrowing on the airwaves. The idea of always obeying all the laws seems to me an impossible ideal. I'm not a strict relativist but I do believe that large corporations will always be using the law to squeeze money out of the general population, and the jails and courts will be full of poor people.

For the ultimate example of legal absurdity just take our president, who does anything he wants in the name of national security. No warrants necessary. Don't need to tell you all what I'm doing. I'll just sign a bill with a little "excuse me" paragraph at the end and call my acts legal. Torture's fine. The very idea of Presidential Signing Statements is strictly illegal, against the terms of the Constitution. The executive branch of our government is not empowered to either interpret the laws nor write them. But ithese signing statements are tacked onto bills because there's nobody out there to stop it. If you support him you think it's not illegal. If you oppose him you want to see the law stop what's being done. The law itself just sort of floats on the lumpy shoulders of police and judges and sometimes legislators. Laws are rules made by men for men's purposes. They have less than nothing to do with morality. Our broadband habits are harmless compared to most of what is inflicted on the poor in the name of the law.

Ok, Ok I'm sorry. This isn't a forum for anarchy. Yet there are some questions of social contract that peek in on us when we're out there with our portable wireless machines.

Peter Webster
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://disturbingthecomfortable.blogspot.com/