I've also recently noticed a LinkSys open network, and I'd like to know who it is so I could offer to help. I'm also surprised, since our house is several hundred feet away from the nearest neighbor. I guess they installed a high-gain antenna.

I also use a (directional) high-gain antenna on my SMC Barricade G, so the signal can penetrate an area with high interference (which i haven't been able to identify). One of these days I'll walk around the neighborhood with MacStumbler on so I can figure out whose signal the LinkSys is, and make sure my signal doesn't reach the neighbors.

Since I use an OS X 10.4.4 PowerBook and my wife uses an old clamshell iBook, we can't use (AFAIK) the same WEP encryption (and the iBook can't use newer security methods). I've figured it didn't matter since we're so far from neighbors and set back quite a bit from the road, but I guess I'll check.

Regards,

Harry Corsover