At 8:17 AM -0800 01/14/2006, Amber R. wrote:
Of course, I am sure there are hundreds of people who visit friends with wireless connections and just open up their laptops and surf. Is it legal ? again depends on the ISP TOS, but there can be serious consequences.

i.e. The person paying for the service would be liable for anything illegal their guest/visitors were caught doing on-line as it all would come back to their IP address. Unless you could prove it was your guests who were responsible, you would be the one going to jail.

This was just one concern I had about my neighbour and her brother having access to my network.

Very real concerns.

You've heard of Spam Vans? Spammers that outfit a vehicle with equipment, then drive around looking for access... Originally, they were going to small ISPs and offering them $5K cash for a cat5 hookup for a day. When the ISPs caught on to the blacklist nightmares that caused, the spammers went wireless and started wardriving...

As for 2 unrelated persons sharing an apartment - In most cases, tenants will share the cost of the service and both have legal access to it. As long as this is permitted by the ISP, it's legal. Most ISP's allow this as many families will have multiple computers and want internet access for all of them.

To take this a step further... I had a great experience with Comcast a year ago... A friend's son wanted to have his buddies over to play some game over the 'net. A dozen computers, etc. He "drafted" me to help set up the LAN to handle it. Then the boy started complaining that the Comcast hookup wasn't fast enough for all those people. So we contacted Comcast. Not only were they ok with having that many people connected to thru the one residential service point, but they even doubled the speed caps for the weekend - and only charged him $5 for it.

- Dan.