On Jan 19, 2006, at 12:23 PM, sandra ragan wrote:

somewhere I read that not ALL the critical files are reinstalled during that procedure.... and it must be those files causing the problem.

Archive and re-install replaces the entire /System and /Library folders, plus the Apple-installed Applications.

Anything in your user directory is retained. If it's something in there that's causing the problems, logging on as another user will cause the issues to go away. If that's the case, start with looking at startup items, then prefs, and Application Helpers in your ~/ Library folder.

TechToolps Pro, Disk Warrior, repair permissions, and PRAM resetting were also run on these drives and eventually came up clean.... but the core problem still existed.

Then it's time for a nuke&pave: reformat and re-install, and if that doesn't fix it, it's a hardware issue, not software. Apps can be re- installed by dragging from a backup or re-installing from original media.

Given your initial problem was caused by fur-ware, I suspect a hardware issue, to be honest.

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'