OK... here's one for you. Any ideas before I toss the backed up system files as useless?

Back in August I had a weird system level problem that ended in reformatting the internal drive on the Big Al powerbook... short version is 12 lbs of cat tweaking the case caused system file damage on the internal HD and one external Firewire.

I lost a lot of settings on that system and they were backed up (duplicate boot drive) to an external Firewire. The same error affected the Firewire at one point and that system is still damaged. Wanted to pick your brains on ways to restore it without loosing everything that's installed in the system.... like Lightwave, CAD aps, etc. that I was hoping to avoid three days of reinstallation on.

Symptoms when booting from this system (10.3.8): all Apple aps freeze or malfunction when an operation requires some kind of system query... Mail hangs on opening, Safari opens but can't find a web page, calculator freezes on calculation, system update works until it gets a list of files to update... then freezes when you try to uncheck a selection or when it starts downloading update files, installer opens to an empty window... all these include a spinning cursor and Forced Quit says "ap not responding." Actually gave it 24hrs once to see if it would eventually clear but never did. Successive Forced Quits result in accumulation errors until none of the Apple aps work at all...

third party aps are not affected unless they make a call on some Apple related function... example, I can connect to the web with Explorer but not Safari.

What does NOT work... any type of partial reinstall of the system.. some functions are fixed but not all. Mail is never fixed this way.

Sandra Ragan
www.plumdigital.com