Stardate 060204.12:14 -0500. A subspace message from Kevin O'Grady reads:

Just got a PB 1GHz laptop ... I tried to get it to load OS 9, but kept getting
 a flashing icon even after using my OSX 10.4 DVD to erase and install OS 9
 drivers.

Where are you getting your Mac OS 9 from?

If you're not using the official Restore DVD, then you'll need to have the retail version of Mac OS 9.2.2 on CD, and use *that* to install OS 9 *before* you even think of installing OS 10.x

If you have said disc, you should be able to boot from it (insert disc, hit Power and immeditately hold 'C' until you see the happy Mac icon). Use Drive Setup to erase your hard disk, ensuring you choose to do so using HFS Extended (HFS+) as the file-system.

Run the OS 9 Installer, and install an un-modified (ie, don't change anything in the Customise options) OS 9. Once it is finished, use Startup Disk to set the HD as your boot drive. Restart, and hold down the clicker until the disc is ejected. The machine will give you the blinking-folder a few more times and then boot from the HD.

Once that's done, insert your Mac OS X Installer disc and put OS X on.

Geoffrey
--
 "I'm afraid music in the modern idiom is too repetitive for my tastes