The machine's serial # reported (according to http://www.chipmunk.nl/
klantenservice/applemodel.html ) it says that it was built in March
of 2003. As far as I can tell it " is " a dual boot system. The brain
fart occurs if you don't have the restore DVD. I have a set of 3
restore disks (+ iMovie 2 (2 disks)), and a restore software "CD" ,
one will boot and tell me I can't use it with this computer and the
other refuses to boot. It gets so far and then tells me to start up
with extensions off  and reports an "error 11". The laptop has 1 Gb
of memory (maxed out) and a DVD Superdrive 1x. I might be interested
in beefing up the superdrive, but must cure this non-OS 9 issue
first. I liked the answer given earlier about trying an original 9.2
disk and going from there. What I've read from Apple doesn't lean
toward this as a solution, however, I tend to trust the experience of
people that actually have/use the same hardware as I do.

I've recently run into something similar. I was able to install OS 9 on a PB G4 12" by using the "Software Install and Restore" CD. I booted to it, pretended I was starting over on my hard drive, but only installed OS 9 support. In the end, my mac continued to boot correctly in OSX (10.3.9), however I could launch OS 9 and run Classic apps without a problem. Sorry I can't find the link to the Apple site doc that explained this for me.

best of luck....