On 12 Feb 2006, at 3:09 PM, Donald Keenan wrote:

The worst case scenario is that Google owns your/our comments and will either give them to the governmemt or use it to target us with specific "narrowcast" advertising.

If Google claims ownership of the comments made on the list, moving to Google is a bad idea. Let's call it off.

I am on another list where the host claims copyright and many folks on that list will not post in-depth comments because of it. The list tends to be shallow. This list is not shallow and I would hate to see it become that way. I would also hate to see the people who now post to this list and also write books be afraid of sharing good experience because they will loose control of their writing. Theoretically, the list host could sue them if they took their own words sent to the list and included them in a book. AFAIK, this hasn't happened YET, but these are corporations which know no limits to greed and have no shame.

I would strongly suggest to NOT move to any list host that claims copyright.

                                                Peter