Peter Saint James writes:
If Google claims ownership of the comments made on the list, moving to Google is a bad idea. Let's call it off.

Actually, this might be the best reason yet I've seen from the anti-Google crowd.
I am on another list where the host claims copyright and many folks on that list will not post in-depth comments because of it. The list tends to be shallow. This list is not shallow and I would hate to see it become that way. I would also hate

The host wants to claim copyright on the works that /others/ post? Yeah, I'd avoid that like the plague, too.
loose control of their writing. Theoretically, the list host could sue them if they took their own words sent to the list and included them in a book. AFAIK, this hasn't happened YET, but these are corporations which know no limits to greed and have no shame.

In any other decade, my response would be "yeah, but any court in the land would tell the litigant to go stuff himself." Having seen both the courts and legislative bodies kowtow to industry at every corner of late, I have come to /expect/ for business to run roughshod over the rights of individuals. Worst-case backup plan for businesses wanting to violate citizens' rights: We're at war!

cheers,
A.J.
--
"Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting"
-- Steve McQueen