On 2/21/06, Peter Saint James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 12 Feb 2006, at 3:09 PM, Donald Keenan wrote:
>
> > The worst case scenario is that Google owns your/our comments and
> > will either give them to the governmemt or use it to target us with
> > specific "narrowcast" advertising.
>

>         If Google claims ownership of the comments made on the list, moving
> to Google is a bad idea.  Let's call it off.

This is the worst reason I've seen yet for avoiding Google Groups. If
either of you actually checked the Google Groups website you would
have notice the following in section 7 "Proprietary Rights" subsection
"Your Rights" on the Terms of Use page
<http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/terms_of_service.html>
"Google claims no ownership or control over any Content submitted,
Posted or displayed by you on or through the Service. You or a third
party licensor, as appropriate, retain all patent, trademark and
copyright to any Content... " And it goes on to explain just what
Google will do with your content. If you are worried about such things
go and read up on them before making assumptions and spreading panic.

There is no difference between Google, Yahoo, the company that
currently runs the LEM mailing lists or any other internet company
except for Google trying to do the right thing as a company policy no
matter the cost. The government can demand any information from any
internet company. Google only made the news because they refused, the
others handed the information over. Yahoo, AOL, Microsoft and others
have attempted to add wording to their licenses to give them ownership
of their users content. Every time people have objected and the
wording has been changed. The very idea that a content distributor can
own your content is absurd, though we have to endure this petty
argument every so often.

If anyone is really worried about Google doing bad things with your
content or information go read the Terms of Use and Privacy documents
for them and their competitors. You might be surprised at how similar
they all are. You might also be surprised at how honest Google is
about what information they collect and just how they use it. All
websites collect information on the people that use them. It takes
effort not to collect information.

And in regards to all the complaints about subscribing to the Google
Groups. I subscribed using an old version of Safari and my Yahoo
account quite easily. Go to the group page, click the link "Join this
group", click "Sign up now" to create a new account if you don't have
one and follow the directions. I never had to send a single email and
I can pick how I want to get email from the group. Any time you want
to change your subscription go back to the group page and select the
link "Unsubscribe or change membership". Except for the sign up page
everything works just fine with a plain text browser, even good old
Lynx.

--
Lorance Stinson