On Feb 17, 2006, at 2:12 PM, G-List wrote:

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:29:26 -0500 (EST)
Subject: [G] Setting up a new mini
From: "LN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I just acquired a new mini and want to start the baby from scratch.

I have always felt I should keep my system, applications, and documents i=
n separate
partitions of my HD. Is this still the case with OS X? If so, how much =
space should I
give it of my 40 G drive?  How much memory should I assign of my 1G?

Congratulations. I assume you've been with Macintosh for some years using OS 9, and maybe 8, 7.

Keeping separate partitions like you mention is old OS-think. Many of the old reasons for partitioning your hard drive no longer apply with OS X, especially beginning with 10.2. In my QuickSilver G4/733, about 4 1/2 years old now, I have two 40GB hard drives, one essentially to back up the other. With OS 9.2, I had about eight or nine partitions between the two drives. Now, I have four and could do well with three now that I no longer need a separate OS 9 partition to fall back to if something went wrong with my transition to OS X 10.3 Panther.

One drive, not subdivided, now handles all our routine activity. It has the OS X, the old OS 9.2.2, all OS X and 9 applications, and all data. The other hard drive has three partitions. One retains all the OS 9 stuff from the day I copied it all to the OS X drive and which I do not need anymore. And it is the backup space for my OS X Home files. A second partition is for an extra copy of OS X for test or troubleshooting purposes, and I've done very little of that. The third partition is a small "scratch" space for Photoshop Elements which runs on the OS X drive.

Before I transitioned to OS X, I thought I would replicate my old partitioning scheme, but the experts in these lists convinced me that would be overkill. It is best to keep the system and applications in one partition, letting OS X manage things. It is also usually best to keep your data in the same partition where OS X does very nicely in keeping your files under control and defragmented. Exceptions arise with some folks who have large photo and music holdings on separate hard drives.

One old reason for keeping documents and data on a separate partition was to make it easy to backup those files. With OS X, just copy the Home folder, or use some utility to manage that.

Good luck,

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God, proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.