On Feb 18, 2006, at 2:17 PM, david_elmo wrote:

things properly anyway.

OK, but what about a little teensy weeny little change like moving the Utilities folder to the top level making it just that much easier to grab things. Will this upset the delicate and mysterious workings of this X giant? I have done this just now, fed up of having to go to applications and scrolling to bottom to find the folder.

No. This won't upset OS X, but it may confuse things in the future if you have to do a re-install, or something in the Utilities directory is fixed in a system update.

Since Apple tends to just replace the files to where it expects them to be, you'll end up with two copies.

I'd use an alias to the folder instead.

You can also drag the Utilities folder to the right-hand side of your Dock, down by the trash can. That gives you an instant alias to a spring-loaded folder. Click and hold and it pups up in a nice list for you to choose.

I have three of those folders down there on my machines: Utilities, Applications, and on my work system /Library/Webserver/Documents (the root of my web pages) Instant access.

--
Bruce Johnson

"No matter where you go, there you are", B. Banzai