From: Edie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [G] Setting up a new mini

At 8:17 AM +1100 2/19/06, david_elmo wrote:
OK, but what about a little teensy weeny little change like moving the Utilities folder to the top level making it just that much easier to grab things. Will this upset the delicate and mysterious workings of this X giant? I have done this just now, fed up of having to go to applications and scrolling to bottom to find the folder. Will more trouble be brewing for me from this one act (apart from any incompetent use of the utilities). There are other ways to skin this cat, I suppose as I type this, like an alias. Actually, let me go back and make an alias and put this on the top level till I am more sure of this matter. Hello! To move it back it asks me for my password! Now an alias, lets me do this. Now i move i alias to top level. Yes, that is allowed without password. And now the finishing touch as is an old habit, I remove the " alias" from the name for cosmetic reasons. You see, Bruce and G- List, you are already saving me from danger, in the very act of writing to you.

You have forgotten my question? Is it ok to move the real Utilities folder to the top level.

David Elmo

David, if you move the folder, the system may not and upgrades won't find stuff that you've put else where. I had put all my apps in sub folders: Browsers, IM, photo stuff, etc. Apple OS updates would create new applications where it thought they should go. I fought that for a while, too.

Use the alias method (Bravo!) or drag any file to the Dock (right side), the side bar (bottom half) or in the tools area of any Finder Window and OS X Tiger will create an alias in any of those places for easy access AND leave the folder where it was. They do behave differently in the different places though. Shawn described the Dock's handy function. Clicking on an alias in the side bar takes you to that folder in the same window. Folders linked in the tool bar open in a new window--at least that's the way they work here. You can remove any of those aliases by Command-dragging them off and they go in a little puff of smoke--cool. This is great for current projects or folders you constantly use.

The method I like best is to use the "Go" drop down menu in the finder. There Apple put access to some common places on the net and also on your computer including the Utilities Folder. The short cut, shift-command-u is noted there on the right. Once I learned the short cuts they became available without fuss.

   ~Edie

I greatly appreciate your (and others) advice. And I am seeing it best to fiddle as little with big folders as possible. But I am constantly bemused by my having a user folder and in it is me! The machine also seems to be an owner. I paid for this damned thing, not the machine, I bought it! But it seems to have a higher status than me, it rides supreme at super top level. I am a level down within one of its folders. But, crazily, I can fiddle with it with an admin password. So I am given at least the illusion of super boss, right?

I am seeing my physician about this mac OS X why should you all carry this burden?

David Elmo