----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: iTunes shuffle question
Date:    Dienstag, 8. September 2009N
From:    Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com

> On Sep 7, 2009, at 12:45 PM, Mac User #330250 wrote:
> > It may have an intuitive way - like Mac OS X has - but
> > what it does in the background (in the directories where all the
> > music files
> > are) is not very transparent.
>
> This is one commonly made argument that baffles me.
>
> What it does in the background is put the files in a very clear and
> easy to follow order:
>
> Artist
>   ---->Album 1 Name
>       ---->Track 01 Name
>       ---->Track 02 Name
>       ---->Track 03 Name
>
> ...etc.
>
> Seems pretty damn intuitive to me :-)

I don't want my directories to be messed with. Some ancient mp3 files have
horribly wrong metadata, and I don't want them to be all over the place.

> The only place it breaks down is when it doesn't have the info it
> needs to put these things together.

Right.

> I don't believe you can get a whole lot more transparent than that.

You could be asked which way you want it. There is no easy way to customize
the style. BTW, for albums I prefer the directory and file naming that you
described to be iTunes' default. For singles and songs, that I have without
the album, I prefer a different naming.

> But I have better things to do with my time than manually organize the
> music.

Like writing on the LEM G-List?

> Again, this is a matter of personal taste: You enjoy messing about
> with having to manually mange your files. I don't. Some people love
> gardening, I consider yardwork a chore.

It is more a matter of how big your library already is and how the files taged
(metadata).
It is a matter of which programs you used before and if you are used and
learned to love a different philosophy.

For me, a music player is just a music player. I use Amarok. It doesn't mess
with tags at all. If I have the time to correct some tags of older mp3s I use
Easytag, which is very powerful yet easy to use. For buying new music I go to
a music store, which happens to be in big shopping malls nowerdays. If it's
not available, I don't buy it at all. Sometimes I record songs from the
radio. Of cource I have to cut and fade-in/-out them manually with Audacity,
and tag them with Easytag. Lot of work... But, as you say, a matter of
personal taste.

I never ever bought a DRM'ed song, in a lossy compressed audio file for the
price I could get it on CD (with all the songs from an album or compilation,
of course).

If there ever were a music shop that would sell FLAC compressed audio files,
I'd be even willing to use Windows or Mac OS X just to get it. But since this
is only available in a very few online music stores, this isn't the case.

There is only the Deutsche Grammophon that comes to mind, its portal is
working on any OS with a recent browser. Sadly there are only selected albums
available as FLAC downloads (just for you to see, not meant to be a
commercial):
http://www2.deutschegrammophon.com/cat/
"FLAC - lossless audio downloads for a special selection of albums"

You're just right - my taste is different.

Cheers,
Andreas.