On Sep 8, 2009, at 1:31 PM, Mac User #330250 wrote:

> I don't want my directories to be messed with. Some ancient mp3
> files have
> horribly wrong metadata, and I don't want them to be all over the
> place.

You can change the metadata formats within iTunes. You highlight the
track, tracks, or even entire Library; then Ctl-click (right click)
the track(s) and use the "Convert ID3 tags...".

> I never ever bought a DRM'ed song, in a lossy compressed audio file
> for the
> price I could get it on CD (with all the songs from an album or
> compilation,
> of course).

Then where are the "ancient mp3 files with horribly wrong metadata"
coming from?

Studies confirmed that young people today have listened to so much
lossy mp3 that it has become the listening "norm". When asked to
choose which "sounds better", they invariably say an mp3 track sounds
"better" than a lossless flac track. This means that subjectively,
your "taste is different".

I think the best argument in favor of mp3 is that it's "not that bad"
considering it's such a small file in comparison to lossless formats.
In my car, which has a disc player that plays mp3 format, I can
squeeze 10 albums on a single 700MB CD. It's sure nice having only one
or two CDs in the car rather than 20 or 30. No need to splice my
iPhone into the car now, at least not for audio playback.