On Sep 10, 2009, at 1:51 AM, ah...clem wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2:34 pm, Len Gerstel <lgers...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1) The apps are not dual processor aware. Most apps are. Even VLC
>> player is and will split the load across the 2 processors of a dual.
>>
>> 2) You are not doing anything with these systems while the apps are
>> running. Since they do not appear to be dual processor aware, they
>> are running at about 100% utilization on one processor, and the other
>> is sitting near 0% I bet.
>
> actually, you lose.  where do i go to collect?  ;o)  i wouldn't
> presume to guess whether the apps are dual processor aware or if the
> OS distributes the work, but if i view the activity monitor on the DP
> machine while a single job is running, first one processor is 75%
> maxed out while the other is near 25% activity, then it flip-flops and
> the other is 75% maxed out while the first is near 25% activity.  the
> frequency of the flip-flops is about twice per second.  if i run two
> jobs simultaneously, both processors stay 100% maxed out
> continuously.  and as you might expect, on the SP machine, the
> activity monitor shows the one CPU 100% maxed out continuously.

That implies that the app is not fully dual processor aware. If it
was, you would see both processors near max. I think the 25% is system
overhead and the 75% is the app. Pull up activity monitor and see what
the CPU percentage is for each running process.

> differences in viewing video, as you describe, is (this time i'll
> wager) more a function of the video card processor speed and memory,
> not the main CPU processor speed.  it really surprises me how often
> folks need reminded that a chain is only as strong (fast) as it
> weakest (slowest) link.  why are CPUs are like quarterbacks . . . ?
> they either get all the credit or all the blame, and usually deserve
> neither.

I did not change my video card (a hacked 9600) or ram when I went from
the 933 to a dual 1.2, but I did see a huge video playback performance
boost with the dual.

Len