On Apr 18, 2010, at 4:17 PM, tentengrrl wrote:

> Jim, re: the same latencies of RAM sticks, is it enough to grab info from the
> System Profiler? see: PC-100-2225 for each of them. Does this mean they DO
> match-- and thus, does it now sound like perhaps one stick might be bad? I've
> just been keeping in one stick and it's been ok since I'm working on Preview
> w/iTunes mostly but I've been able to surf a bit as well. I'm amazed I could
> do that w/so little RAM though now it seems unable to keep Safari open no
> matter what stick is in.

System Profiler doesn't tell you what the latency specs are; Apple Hardware
Test does. If you see PC100-2225 for each of them in System Profiler, that
doesn't necessarily mean their latency figures are the same. One might be CL2:
7.5 and CL3: 10, the other might be CL2: 10 and CL3: 12, or something like
that. The difference in latency is where the kernel problems, crashes and
freezes come in.

OTOH, you may have discovered the "bad" stick, which I suspect is not really
bad but is incompatible with your system and/or the other stick, which is more
compatible with your system.

Tiger will boot and run, slooooooooowwwly, with 128 MB RAM. Not that you'd want
to do that, of course.

Jim