Thanks, Stewie. I'll try the utilities you suggested, I've seen them in
passing.  This is something I think I'll look into if the RAM route does not
work (thank you, Mark).

And thank you to everyone else for the info! I'm sorry I totally forgot to
mention I also had the black Darwin screen twice soon after getting the iMac.
But this was before I swapped the sticks around, I think.  The first time I
just restarted and it was like normal. (At that time the apps were closing
quite immediately and frequently.)
2nd black Darwin I googled around being my first ever experience w/it so I did
a Safe Reboot, then a regular. It started up fine and has not had any similar
problem whatsoever.
Jim, re: the same latencies of RAM sticks, is it enough to grab info from the
System Profiler? see: PC-100-2225 for each of them. Does this mean they DO
match-- and thus, does it now sound like perhaps one stick might be bad? I've
just been keeping in one stick and it's been ok since I'm working on Preview
w/iTunes mostly but I've been able to surf a bit as well. I'm amazed I could do
that w/so little RAM though now it seems unable to keep Safari open no matter
what stick is in.
Richard, Firefox is worse than Safari, I have not been able to keep that open
and forgot about it since I just wrote it off. Perhaps  I'll look into Camino
if I max the RAM, thanks!
So if this sounds like bad RAM my next question is are these typical of
RAM going bad? I know the functions can get way erratic but can it also cause
asteady slide of this type? Hope I make sense.
I appreciate all your help and patience.Lisa

 Max the ram for sure like a lot of people said on here!!! Also you might want
to try running Camino or FireFox ... Go to their websites and download the
versions for Tiger, also update Java and any latest security updates... Tiger
is getting too old for a lot of web browsers now, I also heard some people say
to delete Dash Board too??? I never tried that though??? Running Tiger on a G3
is a little slow to begin with... I down loaded SeaMonkey and it runs very well
except the English version is in German, I don't know why and I couldn't find a
version in English yet...

Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK