use Data Rescue on orginal disc not you backed up from... Do not
download from your existing system... and start from CD or DVd after
burn...

You may look other  options but i recommend

http://www.macosxapplications.com/system-disk-utilities/data-rescue-3-emergency-hard-drive-recovery-file-recovery/

Other options that i tried before for different cases

BUT NEVER WRITE ANYTHING ON THE DISCS that you try to rescue and NEVER
USE THEM. Data rescue take data from them and write another disc, no
change on old drive... That's the best way.

2010/4/28 Cliff Rediger <redicl...@yahoo.com>:

>> On Apr 27, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Dan wrote:
>> > This is why we recommend using CarbonCopyCloner for making backups.
>> >

> On Apr 28, 8:52 am, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
> wrote:
>> It's a bit disconcerting to make a complete backup, knowing you have
>> just a handful of file and folders on your desktop, then restore from
>> the SAME backup, and suddenly seeing mounds and mounds of files on the
>> desktop. :-/
>
> As I mentioned, I'm using SuperDuper.
> Not sure how it might compare to CCC, but
> I entirely duplicate my working HD.
> Thing is, the TB HD (AV storage) was/is NOT backed up, and there's the
> rub.
> I figured use and therefore risk was minimal, which does not account
> for "user stupid error".
>
> Cliff
>
> --

Baha Ata