Greetings,

Iamanamma, it sounds like you have tried everything, however if I my
suggest,

1. Reboot and do a PRAM reset.
2. Reboot and do a NVRAM reset.
3. Reboot to Install disk.
4. Not sure about 10.4.x as I've never had that version, however on
10.3.x and 10.5.x there is an install option that says "Erase and
Install" As far as I know that option will format the disk to be
installed the best way for the install.

Cheers

Harry
San Jose, Ca