> Well, it's an old sound card for an old machine. I'm not really
> counting on any support. Just looking for digital sound (music, not
> movies) that's a cut above and more control over it (no real
> complaint about the stock card), future speaker options, and also
> headphone volume that could damage my hearing if I wanted it to. Not
> that I even like to use headphones anymore, but it's a good option to
> have, and the lack of real bass response in any headphones is made
> worse by ridiculously low line-level volume. I thought there would be
> a simple and cheap fix for this - I can't be the only person in the
> world who likes their music *loud* - but everything I found was
> complicated and expensive.

Despite all the problems I've had with this card, when it does work,
it sounds great. I'm no musician, sound engineer, or even an
audiophile, but the Revolution is a very good sounding card, even
though it's relatively long in the tooth. I've since found better
sounding cards, but at the time I got it it was a revelation. Too bad
the driver support has decayed so badly over the years. Note that I
can only speak to the analog output - I've never had digital speakers,
and can't see myself getting any in the near future. I also like my
music loud - it really helps me hear the detail in the music, even for
slow music that would normally be played softly. For the most part, I
hate living in a house (yard work, ugh), but the one thing that really
makes homeowning pay off for meis being able to crank my music as loud
as I like.

Eric