On 2011/03/22 08:42, ah...clem so eloquently wrote:

On Mar 22, 7:10 am, JoeTaxpayer<joetaxpaye...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>  Tina - you hit the nail on the head here. I was running Dual 1.25GHz
>  MDD G4 which I still love, 3 of them helping to keep my house warm.
>  The only thing they are slow at is the video encode. You Tube, no
>  issue. But the encode? 2-4 hours per hour of video depending on the
>  format change.
>  I bought the same Mac Pro you have, and it flies, less than 1/10th the
>  time to do the same encodes. Truth is, I am not a power user, but as
>  the G4s were nearing 8 years old, it was my family that pretty much
>  told me I need to spend some money on myself. And yes, it's cool to
>  take a video off a camera and see it on the tivo a few minutes later.
>
>  On Mar 22, 12:41 am, "Tina K."<penguir...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>  >  And if you don't believe this, try running Handbrake on a VIDEO_TS
>  >  folder. It should be done in a day or three, whereas a Macbook Pro will
>  >  probably finish in about half the time, maybe less.
>  >  I have a sentimental attachment to my PPC Macs, and was sorry to see
>  >  Apple switch to Intel (AMD anyone?),
>  >  Mac Pro Mid-2010 2.8 GHz QC 6 GB RAM Radeon HD 5770 1GB VRAM 10.6.6
there you go AGAIN, confusing software performance with CPU
performance.  the apps you refer to were written for the Win/Tel
architecture, and ported to the PPC by lazy and/or incompetent boobs
who wouldn't or couldn't rewrite the program from the ground up in
such a way as to fully exploit the Altivec processor.  a 1 gig intel
processor does a billion floating-point operations per second, while a
1 gig PPC does one billion 64-bit vector operations per second.  it is
theoretically 64 times faster than an intel CPU with the same clock
speed, but only if you have programmers smart enough and industrious
enough to exploit it's full power.  why do you think the DOD still
restricts the sale of G4s and G5s overseas, but you can give north
korea all the intel machines they want.

Theory is all well and good, but it won't trans-code my videos or do anything else. Unless you are able to roll your own apps that do use the PPCs abilities efficiently, reality is that a MacPro is faster than a Power Mac.

Tina

--

iMac 20" USB 2 1.25GHz G4 2GB RAM GeForceFX5200 Ultra 64MB VRAM 10.4.11

PB G4 15" HR-DLSD 1.67GHz G4 2GB RAM Radeon 9700 128MB VRAM 10.4.11

Mac Pro Mid-2010 2.8 GHz QC 6 GB RAM Radeon HD 5770 1GB VRAM 10.6.6