On Mar 22, 2011, at 12:09 PM, Daniel Stewart wrote:

>  I have to ask though with the
> X86 Mac what on earth was Apple thinking with Intel integrated
> graphics.   Intel integrated GPUs were considered a joke on the Wintel
> side long before Apple made the switch so why got with a graphics
> platform that many consider to be an oxymoron especially given who
> Apples clients tend to be.

Only one Mac uses Intel graphics and in that one it's the secondary graphics
card...

Mac Mini: "NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM
shared with main memory4"
iMac: "ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory, ATI
Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory or ATI Radeon HD
5750 graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory" depending on the model
Mac Pro: "ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory or ATI Radeon HD 5870
with 1GB of GDDR5 memory" depending on the BTO options.
MacBook: "NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM
shared with main memory"
Macbook Air: "NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM
shared with main memory"

MacBook Pro: "AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory
on 2.0GHz configuration; or AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of
GDDR5 memory on 2.2GHz configuration AND Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of
DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory" (so you can switch between them for better
performance or better power savings.)

Finally, I can speak from a position of some experience on hardware issues, as
we support hundreds of systems, both Mac and PC. If you buy a quality system to
begin with, your hardware issues pretty much vanish.  If you buy consumer-grade
crap, you get consumer-grade crap.

Go for the 'business' grade systems from reputable vendors (HP is our current
favorite, Dell is a very distant second) and you'll have decent reliability.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona