Il giorno 11-11-2011 8:09, Jesse St.John ha scritto:

> alright everyone i am using leopard 10.5.8 on a dp 1.25mhz mdd with 2
> gigs of ram, any tweaks that you would suggest, any ways to go about
> kernel hacking and trimming my system?
>
> im trying to make it ultra-snappy
Sorry to bring bad news but - AFAIK - OSX will NEVER be "snappy" on a G4.
If you want a really snappy OS on your G4, better use OS9. :-)

I just went from a G4 DA 1.4 GHz to a G5 2.7 DP, both with OSX 10.4.
OSX doesn't feel snappy even on the G5...! Responsive, yes, but not snappy.
(and, of course, it has always been sluggish on the G4)

So, IMHO, there's no "magic wand" to make your G4 superfast...
(save for transplanting an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU in it ;-)

Some people here is very fond of "hackintoshes" (PCs hacked to run OSX).
If you're short on cash and like to tinker (and study), that might be a
viable route.

Coming back to "reality"...
AFAIK Leopard is not well optimized. Tiger (10.4) could be (moderately)
faster on your Mac. Or maybe even Snow Leopard (but I'm not sure about
this).

> and everything that doesnt need to
> run or be loaded, needs to be killed. So any ideas?
You could use Activity Monitor to check what is getting more CPU time.

I don't think you can "kill" much, thou; but, maybe, you could find that
some app is "CPU heavy", and you can find something "lighter" to substitute
with.
E.g., I found SoundJam and MacAmp Lite are "lighter" than iTunes.

> am using some usb apple  pro speakers
I wonder if USB speakers put a load on the system... and I think they do.