On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 1:09 AM, Jesse St.John
<jesselorenstj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> alright everyone i am using leopard 10.5.8 on a dp 1.25mhz mdd with 2 gigs
> of ram, any tweaks that you would suggest, any ways to go about kernel
> hacking and trimming my system?
>
> i cant really afford a g5 at the moment, and i dig the ppc arch, so i am
> using this up for what i am doing.
>
> im trying to make it ultra-snappy and everything that doesnt need to run or
> be loaded, needs to be killed. So any ideas?
>
> i have gotten a better video card( i have the adc variety 128meg radeon agp)
> updated mouse and keyboard and i am using some usb apple pro speakers(there
> shot).
>
> help please.............  ideas, things to read, anything

This isn't Linux. People don't normally "kernel hack" OS X and rebuild
their kernels. I suppose if you really wanted to, you could hunt down
the Darwin source code and build a custom kernel with it. You'd
probably be missing some key functionality, though, because I believe
Apple kept quite a few proprietary bits to themselves.

For stripping out unneeded languages, I believe Monolingual is the
app. It breaks some commercial applications, though. There's also a
utility to strip out the Intel code in Leopard, but I can't recall
it's name at the moment.

For improving performance, try adding some RAM (though you may be at
the upper limit for that G4) and a bigger/faster hard drive. Make sure
your Radeon supports "Core Image" for the best UI experience with
Leopard. "Radeon" isn't enough - we also need the GPUs model number,
usually something like 7500/9600/9800.

Eric