On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 12:34 PM,  <peterh...@cruzio.com> wrote:

> Sure they do.
>
> Custom kernels exist for ALL x86 versions of MacOS X.
>
> I am presently running mach_kernel_non-atom on my Shuttle SP35 which has a
> Pentium 4 541 processor.
>
> This proc supports EM64T and hyper-threading, but not SSE4.
>
> With mach_kernel_non-atom, I can run any version of Snow Leopard as this
> kernel is based upon the SL kernel which Apple is REQUIRED to deposit in
> the open source repository. SL believes I am running on a 3.2 GHz Core
> Solo, and SL is perfectly happy with that.
>
> I am presently running mach_kernel_atom.10.7.1 on my Supermicro Atom 330
> Server.
>
> This proc also supports EM64T and H-T and also SSE4, but not certain
> features which make it a Core 2 Duo.
>
> With mach_kernel_atom.10.7.1, Lion and Server Lion believe they are
> running on a 1.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo.
>
> Others have hacked the kernels for older procs, and even for non-Intel procs.
>
> MacOS X kernel hacking is alive and well, just as OS hacking was alive and
> well in System/360 OS/360 (1965) through z/System z/OS (currently).

In principle, I agree with you. It is possible to hack your kernel,
it's just not commonly done for PPC. I used to build custom monolithic
kernels all the time under Linux kernel 1.2, but the need diminished
as more functionality was added to the kernel and the ability to use
modules was added. I've also seen a *few* custom kernels on Hackintosh
ISOs, but I've never had or felt the need to hack the kernel myself. I
think DSDT hacking is more common, though again, it's not something
I've had to do. Maybe I'm  "out of touch" with the Hackintosh scene,
but I really think Darwin PowerPC kernel hackers are few and far
between.