Oh man.  The number of times I've done that to code.  I can't even count
anymore.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Ward [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 4:53 AM
To: gamers@audyssey.org
Subject: [Audyssey] STFC sad news.

Hello gamers,Hello gamers,
It is my deepest regret at this moment to announce some very sad and unhappy
news about STFC which will put development of that title back by countless
months. Even worse I know I am to blame for that setback do to my foolish
complacency, and lack of backing up the code as often as I should have. For
that mistake I am paying a huge price. So here is what happened.
As you know in July I split STFC in to branches. I have the original source
for 1.0 beta which is thankfully backed up to my USB backup drive, and then
I was working on a STFC 2.0 with all the features I have announced in
Anyway, I had taken my USB drive off my desktop to backup some stuff from my
laptop, and never got around to hooking it up to my desktop computer. Since
all the work on STFC 2.0 was being done on the desktop there was only one
single copy of the source code. Well, while working on STFC 2.0 I was
updating the Main.cs file when I discovered somehow when deleting some code
I had deleted most of the file, and at some point had saved the file not
knowing most of it's contents was deleted.
As a result all of the enemy AI, dynamic menus, etc is gone. The code is
simply destroyed, and there is no way to recover it. I can't even guess as
to how long it will take to rewrite all that. No less than three months
damage.
Needless to say I am extremely upset from this crisis and now I can garentee
that USB drive will be connected to my desktop almost perminitly from now on
to backup every single update daily in hopes of preventing a similar crisis.
However, you know as I know that will not solve the immediate issue. I have
to decide where to go from here. All I can think of is make some miner
patches for the STFC 1.0 beta, and forget about all the dynamic menus and
stuff for now. I can not bring myself to rewrite all that stuff right now.
It would be to stressful on me emotionally to try and recreate two or three
months of code again if not more since it will all be from scratch this
time. In fact, at this moment I am so stressed I would rather drop STFC
completely for months until I can feel ready to take on that project. To say
I feel miserable is the understatement of the century.
I'll probably work on something else such as Montezuma's Revenge since that
at least won't be as stressful to work on.

Howling like a wounded Klingon:
Thomas Ward

http://www.eset.com