Tom,

I think you misunderstand my idea.  Let me clarify.

There is a game called Diplomacy, originally put out by the
Avalon Hill company that was a strategic-level WWI game.  Players
take the part of one of the seven major powers in Europe circa
1901.  Turns consist of three phases, diplomacy, during which
players negotiate alliances, peace treaties, etc, orders writing,
during which each player writes a set of orgers for his or her
units and the resolution phase, where all the orders are compared
and resolved.

Each player has no advance knowledge of the opponents' orders,
and must construct his or her orders based on an assessment of
what the others are going to do, based on tactical position and
clues gained through diplomacy.  As such, the strategic problem
is somewhat more complex, since the game is a game of in-plete
information.

What I proposed for STFC was a similar concept.  You'd eliminate
the preliminary diplomatic phase of course, but the player(s)
would use the normal input methods to plot orders.  Other players
computer or human, would do the same.  After all moves are
plotted, the game would execute the orders, describe the results
and give messages to the human player(s).

There is no need for multithreading, simply process all turns
without knowledge of the next turn's movements.  The order of
oper'ns might look like:
1.  Get input for all human player turns.
2.  Create computer player turns, based on present positions, not
including knowledge about the human players' moves.
3.  Process weapon firing.  Give messages describing results.
4.  Move all ships according to their orders, subject to changes
from weapons damage.
5.  Lather, rinse, repeat until end of game.

Note that the only change from the way things happen now is that
moves are calculated before the computer paayers know what the
human player(s) are doing.

Christopher Bartlett