hi,
so will games which are compiled as 64 bit have a performance difference when ran on a 64 bit capable pc
On 5/1/2013 4:22 AM, Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi Charles,

Um...You got that backwards. For the record 32-bit games and software
will work fine on a 64-bit version of Windows. However, a 64-bit
application will not work on a 32-bit version of Windows. It is
precisely for that reason why I strictly compile all my games as
32-bit in order to make them available both for 32-bit and 64-bit
computers.

That said, I have considered making 64-bit versions available for
64-bit customers in order to take advantage of duel cores, more
memory,  more accurate floating point operations, and other good stuff
not possible on a 32-bit system.

You do what your customers will be able to use.  If the majority of your
customers might?? be using down the road, you cut the current customer base

off until they make the change.  If the majority of your customer base is
making the change, or if they have already done so, then you support them,
but not until they have made the changes.

I might be wrong about this, but wasn't there a lack of sales of software
that would run on a 64 bit system because the 64 bit systems weren't really

widely used at the time?  Was there a lack of sales of 64 bit systems
because 32 bit software would not run on the new systems, and the majority
of software that was available, as well as the software that users had
already spent money on, would no longer be able to be utilized?  Sounds like

a catch 22.

--
If guns kill people, writing implements cause grammatical and spelling
errors!