I never could figure out how to read brailled sheet music, so just play by fingers, as playing a guitar by ear is not easy. Fingers are more easily used to make chords. (grin)

The points on spelling, grammar, and punctuation are very good reasons why braille is superior to speech. However, if people listen to their messages before sending, they should notice a lack of punctuation. The screen never pauses where punctuation would direct it to. Horribly mispronounced words are usually, but not always, due to misspellings. Some blind people don't care whether they type "to", "two", or "too", because it doesn't matter to them. They all sound OK, and they may not even know that there is a difference. This is partly due to a lack of education, and partly due to no immediate feedback as to which word is which. Braille will provide that feedback.

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished, you! really! are! finished! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] the cost of documentation - Re: Somepracticalquestionsreguarding the Monopoly game

Hi Jorge:

I think you have hit upon the one issue that we can agree upon. While
braille use is gradually being replaced by other technical
alternatives it is still the only way to truly pass on literacy to a
blind person. I know that on this and other blind related list the
literacy of the blind list members has been going way down over the
last few years. Poor spelling, poor grammar, and even lack of proper
punctuation is quite common on blind related lists.

One reason for this could be the trend for people to rely on technical
gadgets rather than sitting down reading a book in braille or similar.
Therefore at a minimum they aren't getting the constant reinforcement
of spelling, grammar, and punctuation a sighted user would get on a
daily basis. All they get is e-mails, books, and other documents read
to them and they are losing basic literacy as a result.

Another possible reason is blind people simply don't care. I know I am
on a number of sighted mailing lists and most people try to proofread
their e-mails so it is clear and not full of errors. The blind
technology related lists seem to be the opposite. It is almost like
they can't see it, most of the people are blind on the list can't see
it, so nobody cares.

Either way, there is no getting around the fact if e-mails are to go
buy a lot of blind list members are incompetent when it comes to
general literacy. Reading braille would definitely help with that, but
I think we have turned a corner where most people who don't have to
use it won't.

About braille and music I agree with you. I am a musician myself, and
why I like playing some things by ear it is nice to be able to read
the music and make sure you are doing it right than to guess and guess
wrong. Plus with classical music etc it is quite a bit more involved
than say rock, country, or wrap.

Cheers!