My keyboard input is silent. The synthesizer does not say anything as I type. I usually go over the message before sending, and I do have a spell checker running all the time, although it doesn't catch very many errors, which are mainly typos. To me, having every keystroke, or even every word repeated to me as I type is very distracting. Typewriters give no verbal feedback, and I grew up with no verbal feedback as I typed, so it is more natural to me to type on a computer with the same lack of unnecessary feedback.

As for grade 2 braille causing a lack of spelling, I am a good speller, so this is not a problem. I know, for example, that knowledge is not spelled k or that little is not spelled ll. In school, during spelling tests, we had to write using grade 1 braille. This eliminated the problem of using grade 2 braille contractions and not knowing the way to actually spell. You cannot use a dot 5 m on a typewriter. You must type mother.

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished, you! really! are! finished! ----- Original Message ----- From: "dark" <d...@xgam.org>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] the cost of documentation - Re:Somepracticalquestionsreguarding the Monopoly game

While I do partly agree on the litteracy front, there is another side to it.

when I first switched from primarily writing in braille to typing, my spelling was horribly bad simply because I was so used to grade two contractions.

I couldn't spell very basic words like little, recieve or father. It was only through writing in Word Perfect and using the spell check that I learnt my mistakes, since reading in braille I just got the contractions, and having been taught at such a young age those contractions were so integral to the way I thought that I still thought! of the word station as being two signs rather than s t a t i o n, despite knowing the difference.

Thus, myself I disagree that the relationship between braille and lack of grammar or spelling is exactly that one way, indeed grammar mistakes I myself notice far more reading in speech than braille since I am able to hear the rythm of the sentence and punctuatiom far more easily.

It is true that the reason sighted people care about spelling and maintain such is it's visible obviousness, however I disagree that braille is automatically a solution for all it might help some people, ---- indeed I myself believe that sufficiently good synths, such as Daniel which I am using now can highlight spellings well enough if people just pay attention to them. I do wonder for example how many people have their synths set not to read what words or letters they type, or have their synths set just to read letters and then type so quickly that they do not actually hear what they are doing, (this is the reason I myself have mine set on reading words, since with my typing speed it comes out at the same wrate as normal speech).

Beware the Grue!