My old Toshiba has been running since 2005, and my mum has one of my brothers that has been running since 1999, ---- though admitedly on that one the fan needs replacing. The only part of laptops I've ever seen utterly break is the headphone socket which happened on my old machine from 2003, ---- at least as far as wear and tare goes, obviously if you knock your computer off the desk or the like that will have an effect.

Generaly with windows it seems to be software errors accumulating that cause the problems, rather than hardware ones, though those can be avoided with registry fixes etc, heck this machine I'm on now I've had since 2008, and the first hardware issue I had was last year when the graphics card needed replacing due to the old one burning out.

Beware the Grue!