Hi Dark,

Sigh...You are probably right about the fact that we have said all
that can be said on this subject. I feel like I'm in a boxing match
where neither person has made any impact on the other and all we are
doing is going round after round not getting anywhere.

However, before I close this topic I feel the need to make a
correction. Visual Basic 6 apps and games still work on Windows 8. You
have to take some extra steps to make them work correctly, but it
certainly can be done. In fact, Microsoft released a patch for Windows
8 not too long ago that extends support for older Visual Basic 6 apps
and games for the lifetime of Windows 8. So what you said about
Microsoft mucking up compatibility with Visual Basic 6 is not true.
They have in fact tried to maintain compatibility as long as necessary
while getting programmers to adopt .NET instead.

Even if it were true can you possibly try and see it from their point
of view for once instead of looking at this from a biased position.
Visual Basic 6 was released in 1998. That was 15 years ago for a
totally different operating system and generation of computers than we
are dealing with today. There were several third-party ActiveX
components for 16-bit and 32-bit Windows that are no longer supported
by their respective companies causing major problems with VB 6
applications. Since those ActiveX components are not made by
Microsoft, not supported by Microsoft, those problems are strictly the
problem with the third-party companies that developed them for Windows
98 etc. there are of course plenty of other problems with Visual Basic
6, and Microsoft made the right decision by phasing out the language
and components in exchange for a newer and better technology called
.NET which is far superior to VB 6 ever was.

The problem is this.. Despite .NET being better in various ways many
people were happy with VB 6 and chose not to upgrade to .NET. A lot of
VI gamers so no benefit to them in learning VB .NET so didn't. That is
why most of the games out there are still written in VB 6, and really
should be rewritten or updated. That's not Microsoft's fault that
various accessible games were written in Visual Basic 6. Microsoft
made it clear 10 years ago that developers should begin migrating to
.NET, and if developers didn't listen that is their problem. They were
told what is what, and yet despite all that Microsoft does maintain
some basic compatibility for VB 6 because they want you and others to
upgrade, but they also want to begin migrating developers away from
old outdated technologies too.

With the accessible games community we seem to be caught in a classic
chicken and egg type situation. A lot of blind users will not upgrade
to Windows 7 or Windows 8 until game developers stop producing games
for XP. Game developers know most of their customers use XP so are
still developing games for XP, and are not looking at developing games
for Windows 8 because there are not enough customers to justify such a
change in development. One side or the other needs to break the cycle
or it is just going to continue for several years to come neither side
moving because they haven't gotten what they wanted, and will not
until the other side takes the initiative.

To give you an example a lot of blind game developers are still using
Visual Basic 6. Well we already know it was developed for Windows 95
and Windows 98, but works fine on XP. As long as the lion's share of
blind gamers continue using XP there is no incentive for Developer X
to upgrade to VB .NET or something else. Although, there are some
users like me using Windows 8.1 and we can put pressure on him/her to
make more games for Windows 8 they aren't going to listen until a
critical mass is reached and most of those XP users switch to Windows
8. However, most of those XP users aren't going to switch to Windows 8
until they absolutely have to and they are waiting on Developer X to
drop XP support which Developer X won't until the XP users switch. So
both sides are waiting on the other to blink first and we have a bit
of a Mexican stand-off.

I do not know what the answer is, but Microsoft really isn't at fault
for the situation regardless of what you  think. Accessible game
developers could have began phasing out VB 6 a long time ago and
didn't. Accessible gamers could upgrade to Windows 8 and request that
game developers get with the times but won't. Until one or the other
decides to get off their apathy we will have the same old problem.

Cheers!