Hi Tom,

Your discussion of VB6 was one of the best explanations of the situation I’ve
seen on this list.

We’re in the process of rewriting old titles to use the new Engine. The old ESP
Softworks titles were all VB6. This is going to be an arduous transition, but
we’ll get there, and the games will be better than ever when we do.

It is unlikely we will continue supporting XP, though. As you stated, we have a
Mexican stand off, and we can take this opportunity to move forward since Mac
sales are so robust and Windows sales are definitely weaker. Sales of our new
Windows titles have not warranted the effort we put into supporting XP.

For future titles, if we can support it with minimal effort, we will. When the
effort required to maintain support for XP exceeds a certain threshold though,
we just can’t justify it.

If Windows sales pick up and a lot of users are still using XP down the road,
we may revisit the topic.

As for those who blame Microsoft for incompatibilities with VB6, it is common
for people with these types of views of the world to want to vilify any company
once it reaches a certain size for absolutely everything, whether based on
facts or not. I have no love for big corporations, either, but I’m also not
naive enough to think that every one of them is the equivalent of Lord
Voldemort. Remember, Apple is doomed because they use DRM on the music they
sell in iTunes. They aren’t, and they don’t, and in fact haven’t had DRM in
just about seven years now, but those kinds of knee jerk reactions lead to
everything being someone else’s fault. Apple didn’t even have a choice with the
DRM situation. The record labels dictated that situation. It’s unfortunate,
because for the most part, people who take these kinds of views are hurting
themselves more than anyone else. At least until they start spewing
misinformation across the Internet.

Microsoft surely hasn’t done developers, or themselves for that matter, any
favors with a lot of idiotic decisions they’ve made over the last 15 years or
so, but not everything is their fault, either.

As I have said so often, the world is comprised of shades of gray. It is
rarely, if ever, black and white.