Hi Shaun,

Honestly, I think you are seriously over reacting to upgrading. I know
some people hate change, but going to special devices made
specifically for the blind most certainly is not the answer to the
problem. They are often over priced, way too expensive, and
proprietary to the point they are hard to service and get software
for.

To give you an example I can go to my local Walmart right now and buy
an Apple iPad for $499 complete with a screen reader and a number of
accessible apps. There are potentially hundreds of games and other
apps I can buy from the Apple store for it which makes my $499 up
front investment worthwhile.

If I look at similar devices made for the blind I am looking at better
than $2,000 for a basic notetaker which doesn't have the power of the
iPad nor the selection of applications. I could do that, of course,
but why would I buy a specialized notetaker for three or four times
the cost with less features and abilities?

The thing is that while you and others may not like the changes going
on in the technology world I also don't think you really have much of
a choice but to roll with the change. Access is improving on Mac OS X
making it an alternative to Windows. Orca is constantly improving on
Linux making Linux an alternative to Windows. The new Narrator for
Windows 8.1 is fair as a screen reader. NVDA is better, but in many
ways accessibility for Windows has gotten better not worse. Bottom
line, retreating into specialized devices is not necessary, because we
are on the verge of having a real choice when it comes to computers
and software for the first time in history. We need to be going
forward not backward because cost of adaptive technology is dropping
and I see no reason to retreat back into the world of expensive high
priced specialty products.