aHi all,

Over the last few years, BGT has acquired a pretty large user base. In fact, it has become more popular than I could ever have imagined when I first started developing it back in 2009. So in terms of adoption and community, it has been a definite success. However, financially the picture is a little different. I knew when I first envisioned it that it would not sell very much, seeing as how it is targeting a small subset of the blind community which in itself is not that large to begin with. However, over the years it has become apparent just how small the potential market is. I have concluded that I can no longer justify working on it to the extent that I did in the beginning, and on top of that I am involved in a lot of other projects which take up the absolute majority of my time.

For the last few months I have been debating back and forth with myself what the right course of action would be. One option is to simply make it abandonware and forget about it, but I do not like that alternative. Another option would be to continue selling it and releasing updates in the little free time that I am able to dedicate to it, but that seems unfair to the users who have paid for a product that they expect updates and prompt support for. I dismissed that. The final option that I have actually chosen to go for, is to make the product free but not abandon it. I will continue to maintain it, adding new features as time permits and fixing any bugs that spring up as soon as I can. I will keep the forum online, and I will continue to accept sponsorships from those who want to see a new feature in the engine and are willing to pay a little something for it to happen.

Simply put, a fully functional version of the engine can now be downloaded free of charge from www.blastbay.com. Be sure to uninstall any prior version that you may have on your system before installing this new one, as it contains some minor incompatibilities.

I will continue to maintain the product as I mentioned previously, but please understand that any emails you send to me with questions about how to write this or that piece of code will probably go unanswered. The right place to ask such questions is the Blastbay forum. I do visit the forum fairly frequently and will continue to respond to queries whenever I am able, but please do not get upset if you don't hear back from me quickly.

With all this said, I would like to thank everyone who has used and/or supported BGT over the years. It has been a labor of love for me and I hope that you will all find the unlocked features in the new freeware version useful. Continue to make fun games with it and send me a copy of your next blockbuster if you feel thus inclined.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall