Hi Michael,

I see. All I can say is I wouldn't be too hard on your instructor.
When it comes to accessibility and accessibility related technologies
everyone is often in the dark because it is not a core requirement
anywhere in the world to know about such things or to teach it for
that matter. Often times most programmers have to learn about such
things outside of university and on their own time. Since
accessibility is not a part of the standard training course material
most developers are clueless about accessibility issues. So I'm
frankly not surprised you don't know much about this topic yourself
even though you apparently had some IT training.

Anyway, I hope what you have learned from all this is there are no
easy answers to your questions. Accessibility is a cooperative venture
and when application developers and screen reader developers don't
work together accessibility is often less than it could be or
non-existent. The only bright light here is that accessibility is
slowly but surely becoming a standard in programming toolkits. The
Gnome Foundation has made sure that GTK+ is largely accessible and
that accessibility is a high priority so that any Unix-like operating
system such as FreeBSD, BSD, Linux, Solaris, whatever will have a high
degree of accessibility for blind users out of the box. Similar
accessibility standards are under development at Apple with their
Cocoa graphics toolkit for iOS and Mac OS which is largely suppose to
work with VoiceOver. Interesting enough it is Windows that is lagging
behind now days in accessibility standards simply because Microsoft
has been late in adopting standards, and just now are introducing UI
Automation etc into Windows 8 and Windows 10 which will improve things
long term for Windows applications. So I think there is a light at the
end of the tunnel even though it seems like it is very far away right
now.

Cheers!