Thomas (et al.),

Flash is much like Java in that it's a programming
language/environment with a virtual machine.  The makers of Flash
(Macromedia, eventually purchased by Adobe) put in accessibility
hooks so that programmers can take advantage of those, but like with
Java and other programming environments, if the programmers don't
take advantage of those accessibility hooks, then it results in a
(mostly) inaccessible application.

Because it's a programming language/environment, the .FLA files
aren't just the media, but they are the media bundled with graphics,
video, code (the actual code is ActionScript, a cousin of JavaScript),
data, etc. or those programs can download additional external
resources. For that reason, the .FLA file might not have the media to
be extracted, or it might have the media but need the program logic to
decode/decrypt the media.  So the .FLA file is more like a .JAR file
for Java or a .ZIP file elsewhere, bundling lots of stuff together
along with some conventions about how to execute it.

If you have a .SWF or .FLV file, those are specifically videos
designed to be played within a Flash application, so you can use a
media-extractor such as "ffmpeg" or "swfextract" (usually in the
"swftools" package) on Linux to convert/extract the media to a format
such as .MP3 that is more readily playable.

Hope that was helpful and clears things up,

-tim