Hi.

I've been trying to do the drow city close to fort Magnitia, and ran across a
door that was locked.
I tried the knock spell a bunch of times, and despite havig 25 int and 18 dex
couldn't get through at all. I've neglected learning lock picking since as a
druid mage I really should be using magic rather than dex, however it seems
that KNock pretty much is just lock picking with a mana cost, which makes it a
bit pointless, and also a problem if you don't have high dex, indeed I got
killed because I ran out of mana on the bloody door (that and I didn't have a
livoak at the time).

I was therefore wondering if the knock spell could be made a bit more effective
as an alternative tto lock picking given that it costs mana to use. Indeed what
might be fun is if the knock spell, instead of simply replicating the lock
picking skill with a spell opened the door in a different way, for example with
the first casting having the mage concentrate and grasp the tumblers in the
lock one by one before turning them, meaning knock would always work, but at an
increased mana cost.

Heck necromancers could have a versio where they create a literal skeleton key
out of harvested bones, which could be more efficient on mana than the mage
version, but require teeth.

I know the game often has several ways of doing the same thing, for example the
spells candle, crystal light and continual light, but it'd be really useful if
in this case the spell did a little more than just replicate  lock pick and so
could be a bit more useful to none thieves.

All the best,