at this rate, they might as well have a warrior skill like chop door or bash
door.

Keith
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Justin Jones
  To: Gamers Discussion list
  Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:10 AM
  Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Alteraeon knock spell

  Pretty much this. Every other role-playing game I have ever played
  (and I have played a lot of them) has the knock spell a guaranteed
  success when used. I understand the need for balance, but there are
  far better ways to accomplish this than the current one in use.

  The only way I would pick up Knock is if my primary was a Mage and I
  had a lot of Mage cast gear on. Even then, I am not certain if it is
  worth the pracs when I could simply take levels in Thief and the pick
  locks skill.

  On 1/10/17, Jude DaShiell <jdash...@panix.com> wrote:
  > Why not just have knock blow the hinge pins out of the door?
  >
  > On Tue, 10 Jan 2017, dark wrote:
  >
  >> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 06:26:00
  >> From: dark <d...@xgam.org>
  >> To: Gamers@audyssey.org
  >> Subject: [Audyssey] Alteraeon knock spell
  >>
  >> Hi.
  >>
  >> I've been trying to do the drow city close to fort Magnitia, and ran
  >> across a door that was locked.
  >> I tried the knock spell a bunch of times, and despite havig 25 int and 18
  >> dex couldn't get through at all. I've neglected learning lock picking
  >> since as a druid mage I really should be using magic rather than dex,
  >> however it seems that KNock pretty much is just lock picking with a mana
  >> cost, which makes it a bit pointless, and also a problem if you don't have
  >> high dex, indeed I got killed because I ran out of mana on the bloody door
  >> (that and I didn't have a livoak at the time).
  >>
  >> I was therefore wondering if the knock spell could be made a bit more
  >> effective as an alternative tto lock picking given that it costs mana to
  >> use. Indeed what might be fun is if the knock spell, instead of simply
  >> replicating the lock picking skill with a spell opened the door in a
  >> different way, for example with the first casting having the mage
  >> concentrate and grasp the tumblers in the lock one by one before turning
  >> them, meaning knock would always work, but at an increased mana cost.
  >>
  >> Heck necromancers could have a versio where they create a literal skeleton
  >> key out of harvested bones, which could be more efficient on mana than the
  >> mage version, but require teeth.
  >>
  >> I know the game often has several ways of doing the same thing, for
  >> example the spells candle, crystal light and continual light, but it'd be
  >> really useful if in this case the spell did a little more than just
  >> replicate  lock pick and so could be a bit more useful to none thieves.
  >>
  >> All the best,
  >>
  >> Dark.
  >> gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
  >> list,
  >>

  > --

  Justin M. Jones, M.A.
  atreides...@gmail.com
  (254) 624-9155
  701 Ewing St. #509-C, Ft. Wayne IN, 46802