You can play a mud on any (and I mean any) operating system, including dos, linux, windows, android, and even ones on mainframes like aix, vms, sunos, and so on. Your operating system does not matter when it comes to muds. The only thing that makes a difference is the client you use. Some are better than others (especially when it comes to support for msp (mud sound protocol) which is what alter aeon supports). Some of the windows clients (maybe both of the ones listed below, I've not checked) include their own sounds, but if you have an MSP capable client, you'll get wonderful sounds for the mud. I like the mud a lot better with the sounds, it's like an entirely different game with all the audio emersion. Very cool