You know it seems to me that we could iliminate all this stuff if we had certain doors needing knock and others for lock picking. I'd probably also have some sort of skill to make keys for doors, ie craft stuff you would have to get materials to craft though.

On 12/01/2017 3:38 a.m., dark wrote:
Hi.

if Knock was too useful you'd have the oposite problem where nobody used
pick locks.
if there are two ways to do the same thing they need to have some
vaguely equal balance rather than one being far better than another as
is currently the case with the knock spell.

All the best,

Dark.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jude DaShiell" <jdash...@panix.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Alteraeon knock spell

Why not just have knock blow the hinge pins out of the door?

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 06:26:00
From: dark <d...@xgam.org>
To: Gamers@audyssey.org
Subject: [Audyssey] Alteraeon knock spell

Hi.

I've been trying to do the drow city close to fort Magnitia, and ran
across a door that was locked.
I tried the knock spell a bunch of times, and despite havig 25 int
and 18 dex couldn't get through at all. I've neglected learning lock
picking since as a druid mage I really should be using magic rather
than dex, however it seems that KNock pretty much is just lock
picking with a mana cost, which makes it a bit pointless, and also a
problem if you don't have high dex, indeed I got killed because I ran
out of mana on the bloody door (that and I didn't have a livoak at
the time).

I was therefore wondering if the knock spell could be made a bit more
effective as an alternative tto lock picking given that it costs mana
to use. Indeed what might be fun is if the knock spell, instead of
simply replicating the lock picking skill with a spell opened the
door in a different way, for example with the first casting having
the mage concentrate and grasp the tumblers in the lock one by one
before turning them, meaning knock would always work, but at an
increased mana cost.

Heck necromancers could have a versio where they create a literal
skeleton key out of harvested bones, which could be more efficient on
mana than the mage version, but require teeth.

I know the game often has several ways of doing the same thing, for
example the spells candle, crystal light and continual light, but
it'd be really useful if in this case the spell did a little more
than just replicate  lock pick and so could be a bit more useful to
none thieves.

All the best,

list,