Hi Niko,
Yeah, I think allot of the people here would like to see a good Fantacy
game, but I don't get what you mean by not RPG, not turn based, a 3D
game.Do you mean a real time game?
Games come in several types such as: First Person, Turn Based Strategy,
Side-Scroller, Arcade, etc...
I think what you are talking about is First Person. Games like Sarah,
Shades of Doom, and Monkey Business, are examples of First Person games.
While the audio in those games are 3D the actual game play is still 2D.
A  fully 3D game would have 3D audio plus 3D motion being able to move
up, down, left, right, forward, and backward.
Second, game developers in our community use several different languages
not just VB. I use C# and I know Draconis Entertainment is looking at C#
as well. Che uses VB.NET and I know Justin from BSC is now using VB.NET.
Many other developers use VB 6, and I know of a couple now using C++.
Two major problems of getting a team of developers together is language
differences and time. We have such a wide range of differences in
languages and skills it makes getting together the team to do such a
project pretty tough. Then, even if the programming languages wasn't a
problem most of us in the accessible game developing community are so
busy with work, family, and personal projects we can't get together to
work on a joint project.
As for the matter of communicating with other game characters I like the
idea, but as I mentioned the other day in an email to another lister
finding high quality acting for games is rare. Sure anyone can voice
parts, but they may not be very good or really exceptable. The problem
is compounded when you need several voice acters to play several game
characters.
I hate to dampen your ideas  because they are good ideas, but there
needs to be some thought about the practical side of what you are
suggesting. A game like you suggest is not impossible, but just
difficult to produce.
Smile.