From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 7:36 PM
To: Andy Smith; Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] USA Games site and services down.

Hi Andy,
I don't want to say too much about how it was done, but I will just say
the cracker managed to gain illegal access to the Linux root account,
and then proceeded to rm -rf * everything in site including the backups.
We have reinstalled most of the basic services, and I have spoken to
Shane and he has made sure the security whole was fixed. At least we are
sure the cracker won't gain entry through that whole again.
As for the USA Games web site we are using a double backup polacy from
now on. Shane will do daily backups of the server images, and I will be
doing weekly backups of the USA Games home directory. That way just in
case anything this horrible happens again there will be account backups
in two places.

Andy Smith wrote:
> Well, looks like hackers don't care. How did the idiot get in in the first
place?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]