There are quite a number of differences in that situation to what we just
experienced here. First of all, I said at the very start of my attempt to
make a game that it was just that. A sincere attempt to see if I could do
something I've always dreamed of doing. I had never programmed anything
before and didn't ever promise that I would finish it. It wasn't somebody
else's project that I rescued. It was my own idea from start to finish.
Through my development diary which you can read in quite a few issues of the
magazine, I let people follow some of what I was going through. Also, I
didn't take any pre-orders or even start to think about the business aspect
of what I was doing. I wanted to make certain that I had a finished product
that I was absolutely happy with before I even started putting all that
together. I didn't want anybody to be out any money or feel unfairly treated
except me if I faild. Editing the magazine gave me a very strong sense of
the community I was trying to develop a game for and how not being able to
keep solid commitments made in haste can get you into real trouble real
fast. Many of our members are either young or have lived somewhat sheltered
lives for other reasons. They simply can't get a sense of how truly hard it
is to do what Tom and I have tried to do. I've been to university, managed
my own apartment, maintained good relations with friends and family and have
had a very limited amount of work experience. That five months of employment
is more of a career than many members of the community will ever have. It's
not their fault either. People are just on the whole less inclined to give
us a chance. Without experience that nobody wants to give you, it's hard to
get your foot in no matter how many hoops you jump through. Fully
able-bodied High school dropouts frankly have a better chance. Given that,
we have a lot of people with plenty of time on their hands who just don't
have a good grasp of what reality is like for the developers. They aren't
trying to be unreasonable either. They truly can't make the leap of empathy
required. Given this, developers have to be educators as well and take care
how they approach the whole issue of firm deadlines and such. You really
have to have a passion for this kind of thing and have people in your life
who understand and support that passion. It's very hard to justify the
amount of time you put into developing a game for a community which simply
doesn't operate on the same economic level as the mainstream games market.
Nobody will ever make a million developing accessible games and I have yet
to hear about anybody even making enough to truly live off their earnings.
Editing the mag gave me quite a lot of insite in how one ought to deal with
the public communications side of things. Be very careful about the
commitments you make. People will, quite reasonably, hold you to them. Leave
yourself some wiggle room unless you're extremely certain of what you can do
and are willing to stick it out to the end if things don't go as planned.
What I found out very painfully was that I simply don't have the mind for
programming. Look through issues of the magazine and you'll come across
Sparkle and Space Miners. I believe I've shown here that I have a good grasp
of what makes a good game. I just couldn't explain all that to a computer.
It still felt very bad turning away from that but at least I had acted in
good faith and without unduely raising peoples' hopes.

Out of a desire to do good in the community, Tom commited to completing
somebody else's dream. I believe his style of approach was the most open
we've seen to date. He released beta versions to the public so that everyone
could literally experience progress being made. That is an incredibly
jenerous approach. However, as time wore on, Tom's natural desire to put his
own stamp on things came to the surfice and he became less satisfied with
completing what he had taken on. He therefore tried to change the game
entirely well before there was any real good reason to other than his own
inclinations to do that. This last time wasn't the first time that had
happened. However, this time, he had an actual impassable obstacle to doing
what he said. There isn't enough money in the whole community to support the
legal funds he'd need to take his case to court even though I strongly
suspect he could have won such a contest. One person simply cannot take on a
corporation and games just aren't the kinds of things to get organisations
behind you like suing a corporation for damages or other more serious things
might. Tom then decided to completely and utterly change what he would
deliver. It would be a game completely different than what was initially
promised. We wouldn't even get the kind of game we had waited years for and
paidd for. Comparing that to what I've tried to do is just not reasonable.

Once Tom has done this sidescroller, I believe he'll see a lot of good will
come out of it. He will have undone a whole lot of damage he and this
community have suffered due to this whole sad enterprise. He'll be a
role-model particularly for the younger people among us who will see that
despite a lot of adversity, he did his absolute best to make good on a
promise. That will certainly count for a lot in the long run if he decides
to keep working on accessible games. I, for one, sincerely hope that he
does.

Michael Feir
Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine
1996-2004
Check out my blog at:
http://www.blindspots.net/blog.php?user=13